'I think therefore I am.'  Descartes            'I AM THAT I AM.'  Exodus.3.        'I am what I am.'  La Cage aux Folles

01 September 2015

Pirates of Penzance

19th March 2015
Concert Hall QPAC
Harvest Rain
Photography by Nick Morrissey

Tonight I was lucky enough to get a ticket to The Pirates of Penzance and what a show it was. All I can say is that it was sensational and as a bonus it was full of friends I have made this year.

First I want to congratulate my astoundingly talented Pirate and Policemen friends the very becoming and sexy as hell Dan Venz, Tom Oliver, Chris Kel Lett, Zachary Denman and Ethan Jones. These all singing all dancing guys are just brilliant and I have become to know their hard work of late and it is to be followed. I have seen them so often since meeting many of the in Boy & Girl at the beginning of the year. Directed by Simon Gallaher who must know it backwards as he was the star 30 years ago, and it shows in the joy and non stop inventiveness served up. 
Nancye Hayes has several decades of experience that just shines on stage with comfort, precision and a knowledge known only to a real trooper and main stay of Australian theatre and television. 

What made my jaw drop was sensational Billy Bourchier as Frederic and Georgina Hopson as Mabel. Both ridiculously beautiful, assured and with voices to die for. Their stage presence belied the fact that they are mere recent ( a few months) graduates from The Queensland Conservatorium of Music. Decades ago I used to watch international opera stars emerge from this amazing school and today their musical theatre course is producing young artists of truly exceptional talent. Booking late we just managed to get tickets a long way back in the almost full house of 2000. Every night is the same. The audience cheered, laughed, clapped and screamed for the entire show and when it ended I managed to stand and clap for the entire 8 minute Pirate Megamix bows. I am so glad I went. Last week at the Matilda Awards, Harvest Rain producer Tim O.Connor was up on stage receiving honours for this company and his personal work. They really have emerged over the last few years from a small theatre group to a major musical theatre company of the highest standards. We walked out determined to subscribe in future. I want to get my favoured front and centre seats in years to come. Great Musical Theatre.

This is the sensational voice and stage presence and beauty of Billy Bouchier whom I have seen in concert and in Candide this year and will see again in Les Mis at the end of the year
I will also be seeing the absolutely amazing soprano Georgina in 'Into The Woods' later this year.

The introduction of Frederick and Mabel
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...