'I think therefore I am.'  Descartes            'I AM THAT I AM.'  Exodus.3.        'I am what I am.'  La Cage aux Folles

06 June 2012

A Midsummer Night's Dream

Benjamin Britten, Peter Pears & Baz Luhrmann
Last Night I attended this magical Opera Australia performance of Benjamin Britten's 'A Midsummer Nights Dream'. From the unchanged script of William Shakespeare edited down to 3 hours (sung) by Benjamin Britten and his lover, the tenor Peter Pears, and directed by Baz Luhrmann. The astonishing designs were by Tony, BAFTA, AFI and Acadamy Award winning Catherine Martin. She has worked on all Baz Luhmann opera and film projects.
 
One of the many treasures of the evening was the very very special children's chorus. There were some outstanding young boy sopranos, acrobats and all were so dedicated to their acting. Some were so tiny as to be a delight by their mere appearance. All major voices were strong and the humour of the piece had the audience laughing so often. I left with an overwhelming feeling of satisfaction that comes from the full theatrical experience one gets from Australia's production of the great operas of Benjamin Britten.
Below you can watch some beautiful scenes and hear the finale to the opera.

Click for my Post on Benjamin Britten and Peter Pears
A Midsummer Night's Dream was rare in that the lead in a modern opera went to a Counter Tenor (Alfred Deller) and Britten's lover Peter Pears was not the principle star, but took on a smaller role as the the comic drag Flute/Thisbe.
Ben and Peter by Cecil Beaton 1944. A great love.

Baz Luhrmann
The films of Baz Luhrmann that I have in my collection.

 


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...