'I think therefore I am.'  Descartes            'I AM THAT I AM.'  Exodus.3.        'I am what I am.'  La Cage aux Folles

12 November 2011

Slapping !?

The Good the Bad and the Nasty?

The word ‘Slap’ was first recorded in 1632, probably of imitative origin i.e. it sounds like the noise made. The word is found in several English colloquialisms, such as, 'Bitch Slap", "slap fight", "slap-happy", "slapshot", "slapstick", "slap on the wrist" (as a mild punishment), "slap in the face" (as an insult or, alternatively, as a reproof against a lewd or insulting comment), and "slap on the back" (an expression of friendship or congratulations). In music, the term is used in jazz, referring to the action of pulling strings back and allowing them to smack the instrument. The word "slap" is frequently used to minimize the perceived violence of an act, even if the act was especially severe. One person may hit another across the face and injure him/her severely, but in calling it a slap, it may seem less severe, since slapping is often associated with minor violence.
Above taken basically from Wikipedia.
As a child I was slapped by my mother and never by my father, but many consider this abuse of a child. I do not consider it harmful and in fact  I still believe that in moderation and with a gentle hand it should be part of the discipline and training process, but as I do not have children I do not slap them in case you are prone to be scandalised. I also avoid pain in any form for myself or anyone else. 
Slapping can be aggressive, it can be as punishment, it can be playful and it can be sexual for some. Intent is all, and understanding that intent must be obvious.

A short piece 'Sissy Boy Slap Party' (1995) from the remarkable Canadian film-maker Guy Maddin.
My collection of DVD's by Guy Maddin are beautiful, surreal, artistic works often with a gay theme some nudity and a hell of a lot of thought provocation.
Talented Slava Mogutin's tribute to Marina Abramovic and Ulay's performance Light-Dark (1977) (below), with artist Gio Black Peter whom I like to call a friend and his partner Neil Young.
Click to enlarge
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...