'I think therefore I am.'  Descartes            'I AM THAT I AM.'  Exodus.3.        'I am what I am.'  La Cage aux Folles

21 September 2010

Courage

I could never be a hero in battle. Probably for two reasons. The first being that I can not understand the need for violence and secondly I do anything to avoid being hurt. Pain I detest, both to myself and inflicting it upon others. However there are many ways to suffer or inflict pain. Physical pain can be eased more rapidly than emotional pain which is perhaps where our failure is most often seen.

It takes little courage to kill, to ignore, to be ignorant, selfish or hurtful. But it takes much courage to have an idea and defend it by argument. It takes courage to admit the ideas of others are better then our own. It takes courage to seek the truth. It takes courage to see ourselves. It takes courage to love. You need backbone.
"Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace." Amelia Earhart

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." Clive Staples Lewis



"But wherefore thou alone? Wherefore with thee
Came not all hell broke loose? Is pain to them
Less pain, less to be fled, or thou than they
Less hardy to endure? Courageous chief,
The first in flight from pain, hadst thou alleged
To thy deserted host this cause of flight,
Thou surely hadst not come sole fugitive."
John Milton, Paradise Lost


David showed courage when confronted by Goliath and he also sought courage and comfort from Jonathan
Click to Enlarge


When faced with the unknown we may display fear. It does take courage to approach what is unfamiliar without prejudice.
My page on Zenophobia which has no courage.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...